Saint Mary’s school is just one great example of the brilliant work being done by the Daughters of Charity in education around Ethiopia. The school was founded in Addis Ababa in 1927 to provide education for girls. The programs are implemented and directed by the Daughters of Charity under the auspices of the Ethiopian Catholic Church. It was originally a boarding school to house girls from Addis Ababa and the surrounding countryside and give them an education they would otherwise not receive. Since then the school has gone from strength to strength under the guidance of the sisters and with the help of various donors, and now caters for over 1800 children aged 4 to 18 years from various socio-economic backgrounds.
The facilities at St. Mary’s School are of the highest quality. There are laboratories for chemistry, physics and biology to provide students with the scientific knowledge to become the future scientists and doctors of Ethiopia. There are two computer labs with 26 computers, allowing students to acquire skills necessary for the ever-growing world of business and computing.